An essential part of the heritage Els Ports is constituted by its religious buildings, whose antiquity, in some cases, dates back to the time of the Christian conquest in the 13th century, or even earlier. Since then, over the centuries, interesting religious buildings have been built, for instance chapels, convents, churches and shrines, as well as many wayside crosses, or peirons which are a must of the tourist attractions in our region.
Arciprestal Basilica Santa Maria la Major, Morella
In this Arciprestal church of Valencian Gothic style, you can feel the authenticity of the medieval architecture of our lands.
Inside, its impressive Churrigueresque Baroque style altar and its important Baroque organ, which is the main character of the annual international festival of Baroque music, leave visitors breathless. The access to the organ is a stunning spiral staircase, unique in the world, decorated with stone reliefs depicting scenes from the Old and New Testaments.
Inside the Basilica, we find a museum with excellent pieces of jewelry, altarpieces and interesting examples of religious art produced in the workshops of Morella since the 13th century to the 18th.
Currently: visited, check timetables.
Address: Plaça Escoles Pies 1, 12300 Morella, Castellón.
Telephone: +34 964 16 03 79.
Church of Santa Maria Magdalena and Tower Conjurar, Vilafranca
Magnificent sixteenth century temple of Plateresque style, which combines in perfect harmony Gothic and Renaissance elements. In the rear side there is a crenellated tower, which forms a single body with the rest of the building and gives it the peculiar aspect of fortress. Inside is the Parish Museum, where you can admire an interesting collection of works of art.
2 km from the town, we find the interesting architectural complex formed by the Hermitage of the Llosar, the annexed lodge, the porch, the houses and pens. Sanctuary built in the place that tells the tradition that was found the Virgin of the Losar, patron of the locality.
Currently: it can be visited, consult schedules.
Address: Plaza De La Iglesia, 1.
Telephone: 964 44 14 32.
Church of the Asunción and Belfry Mudéjar, Vallibona
Church Parroquial de Sant Pere Apòstol, Cinctorres
Neoclassical building from the end of the 18th century. It has three naves and a cruise, with its façade, which together with the twin towers and other elements of the same style, make it the most mature and splendid baroque model in Els Ports.
Both within the urban nucleus and throughout the municipality of Cinctorres, there are the hermitages of Sant Lluís, the Virgen de Gràcia, Sant Marc or Sant Pere.
Church of Santa María del Pópulo, Olocau del Rey
Built between the 13th and 14th centuries, the elegant Romanesque façade stands out from the outside. On the Gothic structure of a nave with side chapels and a dome cruise, there are rich baroque orchestral and graffito embellishments from the 18th century and, in one of its chapels, the interesting 13th-century Romanesque-Gothic carving of the Virgen de la Naranja, an authentic treasure of the population.
OLOCAU DEL REY
Currently: It can be visited , consult schedules.
Address: Calle Plaza, 1, 12312.
Telephone: 964 17 84 17.
Sant Cristòfol de Sarañana Hermitage, Todolella
Hermitage located at 1,100 meters above sea level on top of the butte Muela de Roc, in the same dividing line of the municipal term of Todolella with Forcall. It is an incomparable location, being one of the most emblematic and beloved hermitages of these lands, with spectacular panoramic views of Cinctorres, La Mata, Forcall and Todolella. In the ascent to that place, a few kilometers away, is the village of Saranyana.
Address: Between Forcall and Todolella is the track on the left that goes to the town of Saranyana. Following the track 8 kilometers, we reach the hermitage.
Royal Convent of Santa Maria de Benifassà, La Pobla de Benifassà
The Royal Convent of Santa Maria de Benifassà is a monastery founded by Jaume I on November 22, 1233, and is currently being occupied by Carthusian nuns. The monastery is located next to the road between Fredes and la Sénia, to the northwest of the reservoir of Ulldecona. It was the first Christian monastery founded in Valencian lands, after the conquest of Tinença by Catalonia in 1230. Gothic-Cistercian in style, it is a National Monument since 1931.
LA POBLA DE BENIFASSÀ
Address: After La Pobla de Benifassà towards La Sénia, there is a detour to the left that leads to the Convent. Visiting hours, Thursday from 13 to 15 hours.